Global Omnium saves over 1 bn gallons of water a year thanks to GoAigua’s Digital Twin
Since 2009, GoAigua’s digital twin has facilitated Global Omnium’s decision-making process in the operation and management of water networks in Valencia (Spain) and its metropolitan area. Over 10 years’ experience in its development and application has made GoAigua’s Digital Twin an essential tool for the utility.
Solving the complexity of the operation
The water supply network that provides Valencia and its metropolitan area with drinking water is supplied from two treatment plants. Water is distributed through a 200 km-long mains system.
The grid network is complex to operate and requires extremely in-depth knowledge of the system in real time. GoAigua’s Digital Twin responds to this need, supporting decision-making both for daily operations and planning tasks.
GoAigua is the leading technology to help utilities break information silos and unlock the value of data.
Discover the welcome offer for new clients and start benefiting from the advantages of our technology.
A strategic hydraulic model
The hydraulic model is the basis for decision-making in GoAigua’s Digital Twin as it can simulate the system’s response to any set of operating conditions. Calibration is vital to ensure that it reflects the real behavior of the system.
- It precisely replicates the behavior of the network at any given time under any circumstances.
- The model includes all the pipes in the network (down to a diameter of 200 mm), tanks, pumps, remotely controlled valves and hydraulic valves.
- It is fed daily by a total of 20,000 readings providing both real-time and recorded data.
The Digital Twin optimizes system performance, prevents problems and downtimes, and plans future scenarios and operations.
Data integration and quality
The large amount of data available, its storage and screening are key. Information is properly organized and easy to access, enabling the model to be loaded quickly.
- The IoT and Big Data platform continuously incorporates, standardizes and integrates data from 1M smart meters, pressure/flow sensors, SCADAs, GIS, CMMS and other systems.
- Hydraulic modeling and advanced analytics enhance the Digital Twin’s capabilities. All data received are screened by a series of AI algorithms to ensure its quality.
Personalized visual environments
Visualization is a powerful and flexible tool for water utilities. Graphical interfaces adapt to the user’s role.
- General synoptic overviews of the hydraulic system
- Synoptics of remote stations
- Geographical backgrounds. Hydraulic variables for the entire model network are displayed in real time, showing the hydraulic behavior of the system and its effect on the sectors or groups being supplied.
- Special windows (water balances, graphs showing trends and illustrations of parts).
Read the complete case study
Scalability of the Digital Twin
The development of a standardized, scalable and easily updatable tool was key to the successful development of Valencia’s Digital Twin.
- This keeps the Twin constantly updated so that it is responsive and reliable.
- The platform is ready to use in a variety of supply networks.
Benefits and results
GoAigua’s Digital Twin currently enables Global Omnium to optimally manage its daily operations, to assess various operating scenarios in real time, to plan future supply development and predict how the network will behave in the future. It provides a complete overview of the network in real time, along with informative and actionable dashboards 24/7.
- Simulation of past, present and future scenarios under all kinds of operating conditions.
- Forecasts for network behavior in the next 24 hours, which facilitates the prediction of potential events.
- It helps operators to take short-term decisions and plan actions for the longer term.
- Development of contingency plans.
- New staff training in network operations.
- Supports decision-making at the best times and dates for network maintenance and other operations.
- Information on pressure at every point on the network, which minimizes leaks and improves the customer experience.
– 30% non-revenue water reduction
+60% improvement in the customer experience
-15% energy used for water treatment
-20% maintenance OPEX costs
Our team finds the best solutions to transform service management and operation, turning it into a benchmark in the industry.
- Request an analysis of your organization’s challenges and learn how the GoAigua technology is helping other clients.
- Receive personalized help in the implementation process. This is done remotely and in just a few days.
- Start using GoAigua for process optimization.